RETURN unused and unwanted prescriptions, over the counter medicines and vitamin supplements to local pharmacies. Look for the Yellow Jug for Drugs.
- Bellaire: Bellaire Pharmacy, Family Fare, Bellaire Family Health Center
- Central Lake: Central Lake Pharmacy, Central Lake Family health Center
- Elk Rapids: River Pharmacy
- Mancelona: Family Fare
Throwing unwanted and expired medicines in the garbage is NOT safe. There a potential for:
- Accidental poisoning by children and pets
- Prescription drug abuse by teens and adults
- Polluting drinking water by drug chemicals leaching from landfills.
Flushing medicines down the toilet is NOT safe. Your septic system can not break down the chemicals.Harmful chemicals in the medicines will end up in our water – drinking water and lake water -impacting our health and the health of aquatic life in Torch Lake.
RETURN unused pet medicines to the vet or a local pharmacy
- Bellaire: Bellaire Animal Hospital
- Alden: Torch Lake Veterinary Clinic
- Elk Rapids: Elk Rapids Animal Hospital
- Mancelona: Mancelona Veterinary Hospital
Pills in a Purple Pod Boxes are located at law enforcement offices in Bellaire and Elk Rapids. Offices are open on Monday– Friday from 9:00–5:00.
Antrim County Sheriff– Administrative Office
107 Grove Street
Bellaire, MI 40615
Elk Rapids Police Department
321 Bridge Street
Elk Rapids, MI 49629
- Prescription drugs (including controlled substances)
- Over the counter medicines
- Nutritional supplements and vitamins
- Medicated lotions and ointments
- Liquid medications in sealed containers or plastic bags
- Pet medicines
Items NOT Accepted
- Aerosol cans, hydrogen peroxide, thermometers – Take to Household Hazardous Waste Day
- Medical waste, bloody waste, IV bags – Place in plastic bags and dispose in trash.
- SHARPS (needles, lancets, pen needles, etc.) – Mail container back to B.D. Sharps, Inc. or put in heavy duty detergent bottle, screw on top and tape shut; then put in trash.